The Queen’s Head is a Grade II* listed building and was constructed in approximately 1341 - making it the oldest secular building in Crowmarsh Gifford.
The aisled hall would probably have been the dwelling of a man of considerable status, and its elaborate design is still evident in its timber frame with its arch-braced ties and collars, clasped purlins, and a lower tie with knee-braces.
The pub has seen plenty of tales in its time, and in its first 50 years alone it had to survive The Black Death (which hit Wallingford and its surrounds in 1348-9) and Wat Tyler’s revolt against the poll tax in 1381.
It stood throughout the English Civil War and the Parliamentarian siege of Wallingford, and it is rumoured that some of Cromwell’s men (and possibly Cromwell himself) sought refuge in The Queen’s Head prior to the eventual sacking of the castle.
Early in the 18th century, Jethro Tull, a resident of Crowmarsh, revolutionised agriculture when he invented his famous seed drill at nearby Howbery Farm.
And in 1944, the pub saw the heroics of two airmen, Flying Officer John Wilding of New York and Sgt John "Frank" Andrew of Abermule, Wales, who were killed when they steered their damaged plane away from Wallingford to avoid further casualties.
Here at The Queen’s Head, we are proud of the pub’s heritage - and hope that our pub remains a part of local history for years to come.
With this place almost seven centuries old, you might not be surprised to learn The Queens Head is home to a ghost. A friendly one though - so far, at least…